Sunday, January 20, 2008

"Are you sure you want kids?"

I heard this question *twice* this weekend.  

Um... gee, no, now that you mention it.  Maybe I don't want kids!  The whining, screaming, throwing, diapering and all that is really too much for me to deal with.  I decided last year that we just had too much money and nothing to do with it.  And I *love* needles and hormones.  So D and I decided that taking up IVF would be a good hobby.   I just really loved getting the huge boxes of synthetic hormones in the mail.  It was like Christmas!  Who needs to keep fruits and veggies in their fridge when you can have brav*lle and menop*r instead?  SO much better!

Ok, now that I have that off my chest I'll give you a 'real' update.  I am both optimistic and pessimistic at the same time.  Optimistic that we will have a child someday- insofar that I bought some lovely high-end baby furniture off Cr*igslist for a steal.  It needs repainted, but I can do that.  Pessimistic because there will be no 2008 baby in our house.  Because of the MFI, we have to do IVF to get (viably) pregnant.  I have decided I need to get some other Things taken care of before even considering IVF again.  That will definitely not be anytime soon, if at all.  I do _not_ want to do another cycle.  Since we do not have conclusive evidence that I can carry a pregnancy, a Good Friend has offered to be a gestational surrogate for us (our embryo, her body). The hitch is with the timing, because she wants to complete their family first.  (Who am I to complain about that, given her generosity?)  That process wouldn't be able to begin until at least late 2009.  
So here we are back in January 2008, trying to decide and agree on what (if anything) to do in regards to starting a Family of our own.  
Living permanently child-free is NOT an option.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you at all on IVF. I'm not convinced it's the way to go. So is the gestational carrier in 2009 a for sure thing? you'll figure it out....

Amy said...

Good luck with your decision. Maybe doing a cycle with the new clinic in the mean time?

Cindy said...

Good luck with your tough decisions. I'm glad you're feeling hopeful.

Anonymous said...

Annie - I'm sorry your road has been so rough... I hope that you get the final answers you need to guide you on your journey! I wanted to say that I'm still more than happy to get together for coffee and chat anytime you want about adoption, DE and all that jazz. Also, besides the coincidence on where we live... I noticed your parents live in SC... so do mine... near Hilton Head!

Michell in NA

tryingin2007 said...

hi annie! wow! you have a lot on your plate. it's NOT easy and I really feel for you. decision making is usually the toughest part. I feel confident that you and your DH will agree on a direction and you will definitely be parents. I'm sooo rooting for you.

I tried to find an email link but didn't have any luck. my dr at c was dr davis. if you or your friend have any questions I am here for you. just email me.