Sunday, March 25, 2007

spring has sprung

The weather was GORGEOUS today, and I did a lot of yardwork. It's great to get things cleaned up outside and see the spring bulbs bloom. In the spirit of Spring and turning over a new leaf, our follow-up consult with the RE is on April 5. I'm thinking of doing the next / LAST IVF cycle in July, which would mean starting the meds in June/ end of May.

In the meantime, I am trying to come up with a backup plan. When it doesn't work. And more money is down the drain, more time has passed and we are still childless. This brings me to adoption. D is not so keen on the idea yet.

It might seem a bit drastic of a step, since no one has ever said we CAN'T get p/g and carry a baby to term on our own, it's just the liklihood of that happening is very low. I don't want to be 40 and childless. I'd prefer to not be 35 and childless. Heck, I'm not too happy with being 32 and childless, but you get my drift... That means we would at least have one child (adopted) and then if we were blessed with a biological child, then we would have two. Insta-family.

Any thoughts on this prospect, oh blog readers?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I think that only in the movies do people get the news "you will never get pregnant". It's fiction. Even in the worst of circumstances (ovarian failure, uterine abnormality, zero sperm), there's is SOMETHING that science can do. Modern reproductive science is wonderful in all the options it provides us, but it's horrible in the lack of closure it gives us. There's almost always ONE MORE THING we can try.

Deciding when it's time to move on from infertility treatments is a very personal decision and only you know what's right for you. If you haven't already, I would HIGHLY recommend reading the book, Adopting After Infertility. It gives some awesome advice and exercises for couples to do to help them think through decisions about infertility, treatment, and adoption. It helps you (both) to think about what's really important and what decisions you will be ok with for the rest of your life. For me, it helped me to realize that I'll be ok with adopting... but not yet. Not until I feel like I've given the biological route a good effort... and feel like I've exhausted all of our reasonable biological options (tried at least a couple IVFs, etc).

Best of luck with your decisions and with getting on the same page with D. It's tough. I know.