Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Big Scare

As to not freak everyone completely out, everything is OK.

I woke up yesterday to underwear and sheets completely soaked with blood. (really not underestimating here... REALLY)
I called my local Dr. in shock, and they squeezed me in for a u/s that afternoon. So, um, fine... nothing to do about it, really. Whatever happened, happened. I gave it a 50/50 chance of miscarriage. (never been the optimistic one here) I showered, got dressed, and waited. And *waited*. And WAITED. Finally it was time to leave. D rushed over to the office and met me there.

The u/s tech was really good. We even got the super-high-tech machine. Cool. I was impressed w/ the tech because you have to be really skilled to be able to come off as 'nice' when dealing with a crying / hormonal / preggo / infertile who's in there b/c of a bleed.

She found the embryo/fetus/baby (what exactly is it now? not sure!) right away. She also got the heart beat seconds later. By that point I had tears streaming down my neck. She turned on the sound and there it was... woosh-wooshing away. Little bugger!!!!! Everything looked fine.

I found out today that the Dr. suspects a subchorionic bleed, and said it was small (about 4mm). Needless to say, she said they'd monitor it closely and to 'take it easy' in the meantime.

So, I guess I'm pregnant, but there is not a whole lot of carefree joy and enthusiasm yet. There's way too much to be concerned about and this incident is just a reminder of how tenuous this pregnancy really is. There's just SO much on the line.

The below pictures are from yesterday's scan.
heartbeat
baby
(head is on the bottom)

Today you would think nothing had ever happened... I feel fine, no spotting, no bleeding, nothing. Ok, well, I feel like death warmed over and am exhausted, but *other* than that... !

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so glad everything is ok. There were quite a few girls on the message board I go to all the time who had the same thing in their first trimester, and I think all of them ended up reabsorbing. I think they're pretty common. Still, I'm sure you were so scared. Try to relax as much as you can and I'd be happy to help if you need anything :) -Shannon

Polly Gamwich said...

Oh Annie, I'm so sorry, I know how scary those scares can be. I'm praying that it was just the SCH and that baby will be fine.

Away2me (Deanna) said...

Thank goodness all is well. I hope it continues to remain well.

Cindy said...

I'm so glad everything turned out ok. I've read about plenty of women having those kinds of bleeds and everything being fine.

I think in scientific terms, it's still an embryo. I think it changes to a fetus around the 2nd trimester. And you can call it a baby whenever you want to. :)

Christi said...

same thing happened to a friend of mine who did a FET, she had the subchorionic bleed, all turned out fine! her baby is here! :)

DAVs said...

Man I'm sorry you had such scare! What a process to go through...it's no wonder you're exhausted. I'm so glad everything is OK! Take it easy...

Retro Girl said...

I'm very glad everything is okay. How scary...and what a sense of relief you must have felt when you heard that heartbeat. I started crying when I read that part.

Joy said...

So glad that you and the wee one are OK. It's been awhile since I posted, but I have been routing for you all along.

Lisa said...

Oh Annie, So glad everything is okay!!!! What an awful terrible scare you had. I feel so bad that you had to go through that. Yes, it's so hard to get excited when there always seems so many hurdles to get through. Hang in there. Everything will be okay. Rest. Breathe. And hold onto the news that everything is okay, and you will be holding that precious bundle in your arms in 9 months.